Sunday, September 16, 2007

Commuter Music

It's always an adventure. Yesterday, we accidentally came out of the metro at what seemed to be the precise ending of the annual midday techno rave (as well as the rugby game broadcast). If ever I needed validation that I am indeed in Europe, there it is! It was interesting, to say the least. There was confetti, smashed glass, litter, and fresh cigarette butts all over the streets, and all sorts of characters still hanging out in town. We went to the institute building, which is pretty much the only spot in Paris with a guaranteed *free* clean bathroom. And since drinking fountains don't exist, the sink also serves as a great watering hole. Right after we came out, one of the missionaries locked up because one of the ravers tried to pee on the church....the downside to it being in the center of the city. Oh, the joys of needing a restroom in the city.

I love the metro. There are street performers that have laid claim to several of the halls, and it has already gotten to the point where I recognize their acts. Down one hall, there is a man who performs oboe solos after flipping on his boombox with the backup orchestra (I love it!). The first song I heard from him was the love theme from the 60's version of Romeo and Juliet- it warmed me up to him immediately. Then there are the performers who play instruments from their home countries/cultures, like a Native American guy (random), and some with different kinds of Asian instruments.

And the traveling performers. They typically have accordions and apparently ride in different cars all day, trying to collect money from all the passengers. Today, one man performed for us, but got up at the stop and moved on to the next car because I was the only one paying him any attention- and I didn't even contribute. But I am a poor college student.

No comments: