Versailles- we visited the inside on Thursday.
Cimetière du Père-Lachaise- the big and beautiful cemetery in Paris.

Yesterday (as in Saturday) Janna and I went back to visit the Cimetière du Père-Lachaise, one of the most famous cemeteries in the world. We had already visited it with our entire group the first week, but it was just a quick walk-through. And we had people to see: I was particularly looking forward to seeing Chopin's burial site.
While we were trying to locate everyone, I saw a tomb labeled Durand. It triggered something in my memory and I was almost certain that the name was a composer's. I looked inside the little chapel room but only saw (what I thought was) a female name: "Marie-Auguste Durand." Disappointed that I didn't see anything else that I recognized, I moved on.
Today I just barely remembered seeing "Durand" and so I looked it up. HE is a composer from the romantic period who wrote Valse in E flat, the last piece I played at my last piano recital a few years ago. It made me so happy to figure that out! When I started taking French in high school, my piano teacher was thrilled and taught me some pieces from French composers of the romantic period. It's still my favorite period for the piano.
........................................................................
Outside: pretty good except for this little eyesore...


Only the Italians (or multilinguists) know why it's there. I think it was some sort of modernist exhibit.

2 comments:
Why would anyone ever put a huge skeleton in front of anything? Especially Versailles? I guess it will remain a mystery!
Hi Alyssa!
Looks like you're having fun in Paris! I love you!
Brooke
Post a Comment