Saturday, November 24, 2007

I'm still alive!

I know this blog has been dead for the past month. I'm sorry! After I went to Rome, which was AWESOME- don't worry, I'll post an album- I got right into two long political science papers. The second was due last Thursday. During that time, I pulled through a 9-day metro strike (ended yesterday)- and THAT was fun! Fortunately, I live in the city, so after a couple of days it was possible for me to get around- albeit smushed up against everyone else in the car- the way Japan does it I hear! During metro strikes (I'm a veteran now), the first day is TERRIBLE, but the other days are a little better depending on the line. For example: line 1, the best, would have 1 in 2 trains come by. But the line from 1 to my apartment, line 9, would have 1 in 10. Bleh. But still- SO much better than being on a train during a metro strike in Rome. I should've slapped one old man in particular.

But now that the strike is over, life is great! Yesterday I finally went to Les Invalides and saw Napoleon's tomb which looks like it belongs to a god. The coffin is HUGE and has seven others inside of it. The dome church is gorgeous- definitely a Louis XIV project. I ran into Wes, Ashley, and Andie, and after touring the war museum (with swords, knight armor, etc. galore), we went to the Petit Palais. It has an interesting mix of modern art and art from all other time periods.

After eating at McDonald's (hey we were on the Champs-Elysees, everything else is expensive!), Ashley, Andie, and I went to the Galeries Lafayette. It's decorated for Christmas with lights covering the entire side of one exterior wall with the clock. It was amazing. We went inside and found the Christmas tree in the middle of the makeup on the first floor. The store has all the big designers like Armani, Prada, Marc Jacobs, Ralph Lauren, etc. etc. etc. EVERYTHING is there. We wandered around a bit, imagining that we could actually drop 239 euros on a sweater. ha.

So that was yesterday! Today I'm studying for finals (fun)and then going to Hawaiian night! (A missionary couple, the Murrays, are from Hawaii.)

More to come when I'm not supposed to be rehashing my knowledge of the development of Protestantism!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Can't wait to see pictures!

Penny said...

I was going to say, "Can't wait to see the pictures." but Erin already said it! Looking forward to weeing you next week!
Love, Mom

Penny said...

I meant "SEEING" you of course!
Mom

Alyssa said...

Okay Mom, I'm certainly glad you're not "weeing" me!!

Michelle said...

Alyssa,
I'm glad you updated your blog. It is always fun to hear what you are up to. We are excited to have you back at work in a couple weeks!

Cheryl Linford said...

Hi Alyssa,
I can't believe you are on your way home already! Thank you for your post card! Sorry I didn't get one sent back to you. These last few weeks have been so crazy. I am so excited to see you when you get home and hear more about your experiences in France. I read your going to be in London today. I hope you have a great time there too. Have a safe trip home. I love you and I can't wait to see you.
Love,
Aunt Cheryl