Every night before I go to sleep, I look up at my ceiling where the word "YES" has been scrawled in night glo-paint. I've never asked why it's written there. The first night I moved in, I turned off the light, climbed up to bed, and there it was. Is it a self-affirmation? "YES...I have great skills, including intelligence and the ability to read upside down words on ceilings." Or perhaps it is the answer to a question: "Will you marry me?", "Can it get any better than this?", or "Is this cereal as good as I think it is?" (Demetri Martin: YESSS).
It's at a time like this, when I'm supposed to be coming up with an awesome paper topic, that a three-letter word on the ceiling can suddenly become captivating, sort of. Slightly captivating, if you will. (I'm pretty sure that's an oxymoron).
Anyway, it's hard to go wrong with YES. Especially for me, considering the question: "Should I be doing something else right now?"
YESSSS.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love how you make a witty stories out of simple things! Should you be a writer? Yes! :)
Your "yes" just reminded me of a glow in the dark "I (heart) U" that I stared at every night before I fell asleep all through high school. When my sister went to college, I moved into her old room, and I guess her old boyfriend had put that up on the ceiling above the bed. I would pretend it was written to me from someone. I like how mysterious yours is, haha.
Post a Comment