Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Roma, how I miss thee!

Exactly one year ago yesterday,I was in Rome, my last day, being amazed by the magnificent ruins (including the Coliseum). There I was, saying things like Buongiornio principessa, arrevederci, gelato, and several ice cream flavors, the near extent of my Italian vocabulary. On that lovely trip, we reenacted scenes from Roman Holiday (gelato on the Spanish steps, wishing at the Trevi fountain, trying not to get hit by Italian drivers, and running through cobblestoned streets in the pouring rain at dusk to get our share of free pasta at the hostel- oh wait, that might have just been us). We went to Vatican City and were blown away, stayed until closing, and were shooed out by the guards along with the rest of the crowd while we (I) desperately tried to find the touch of Adam and God's fingers on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Impossible I tell you! Here was our first and only encounter with Italian ballet, a production to the Peer Gynt Suite by Grieg that we saw at my recommendation (because of the music I tell you. The music!) Turns out you need to get a little story background to prepare yourself for things like this. I loved ( that is to say, was desperately confused) by the moments when random frightening creatures would rush out on stage, dance in frantic circles around the characters on stage, and rush back out again. And the man in the story was a treat. His character was rather odd. But that's another story!
We walked (practically ran) for miles, made friends with people from all over the world. We (I) shared excitement at seeing the geography of France on an ancient Roman map with a French couple in the Vatican museum (en francais, je pense!). We marveled at the colors of the buildings (a huge difference from Parisian architecture), and snapped pictures all the while. And e felt right at home when we found out there was a metro strike (we had two very memorable and lengthy strikes at home in Paris). At the end of the trip, we were exhausted, but in completely and unabashedly in love with yet another foreign city. And we were excited to go back home. Yes, we considered Paris home. I cannot describe how accustomed I grew to the way of life there. It's odd to think of now, but I really felt a rooted connection to that city and my life in it. Could I replicate that again? I would love to say yes, but who is to know? C'est une grand question.

By the way, "we" was Stephanie, Kylie, Janna, Vanessa, and me. Oh what fun we had!

No comments: