Tuesday, April 15, 2008

future/present

Do you ever reflect on your life and wonder if this is where you meant to end up? Have you ever considered the way you were as a child and an adult (ha) simultaneously? I remember, as a child, thinking about all the great things that would happen when I was an adult. However, there is a tendency for children to perceive their future selves as different people from who they actually are. I am the same girl I was in kindergarten. I think that is why it is so easy to reconnect with friends from high school. You have no secret personality traits from them, for who could keep that locked up for so long?

Where am I going with this? Maybe it's time to lessen the focus (just a bit) on the future. Yes, the future is important and plans must be made. But what about the present? You have forever to fulfill the future, but only now to fulfill the present. There will always be a next week, next summer, next year- focusing on that discounts what can be done today. Not that goals are terrible; they are absolutely necessary. But a life can't be built upon possible goals. It can be built on concrete actions that will lead to the accomplishment of goals.

No comments: