Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Brief Penguin Handbook, except not in the slightest

Oh my goodness. Time, time, where has it gone? School started eight days ago and I've been running to and fro since. If I'm not in work or classes, I am studying (or at the very least should be!). Efficiency and time well spent is of the utmost importance, and I am still working on that (obviously, as I'm taking time to write this before delving into the Odyssey!). But enough of the parenthetical sidenotes. Let me relate something I read that changed my life just today.

"Life is like some crazy machine that is always going either too slow or too fast. From the cradle to the grave we alternate between the Sargasso Sea and the rapids, forever either becalmed or stormtossed. It seemed to Maud, as she looked across the dinner-table in order to make sure for the twentieth time that it really was George Bevan who sat opposite her, that, after months in which nothing whatever had happened, she was now living through a period when everything was happening at once. Life, from being a broken-down machine, had suddenly begun to race."
-From A Damsel in Distress by P.G. Wodehouse

I sat down at the table, opened my book that I was oh so close to finishing before starting school, and saw my life strung out in words on the pages before me. How perfectly this passage describes the bridge between summertime and the ever-growing load that is school in the fall. This fall will be great, don't get me wrong, but it will also be a lot of work. Rome wasn't built in a day. No really, it wasn't. More like several hundred years, as I'm learning in my Roman history class!!

So that's a little update on school life, but as for the end of the summer, let me just say that it was amazing! The weekend before last I went to Liberty Land with Alyse, Jocelyn, and their mom and sister. I'm not going to lie- I loved the roller coaster. And little boats from which you soak your friends. It was great! The next day I floated down the Provo River with Alyse, Jocelyn, and a few guys. That was when I discovered that I have an indescribable magnetism to the scraggly growth on the sides of rivers. Who knew? Rapids only aid in that regard, unfortunately. Don't worry, we survived, even during the two hours following the river when we discovered Jordan's keys had been unceremoniously swallowed up by the raging waters. Why oh why? But it was kind of fun, hanging out and realizing how useless cell phones are in an emergency if they're all locked in the car. Why, you ask? I mean, besides the fact that you can't actually use the cellphones? Well just tell me how many phone numbers YOU now know off the top of your head and get back to me! Mine is a slightly helpless generation. But we're working on it :)

I have so much more to say, so I will be back!

Also, why the title? I dislike naming things, and when I tapped the title bar it came up with the penguin handbook. If you're not in college, you might not know that that is actually a book on writing citation. It's lovely. And it's on sale for twenty bucks. Come on, you know you want it!

No comments: